Do you struggle to speak up for yourself? If you’re sensing your throat chakra may be blocked, then you’re in the right place. Today we’re talking about how to open the throat chakra, so you can be your unapologetic self!
Throat Chakra Meaning
The throat chakra is your communication center. It represents the assertion of your will and your ability to speak your truth. Every experience you have that affects your ability to express yourself is stored here.
So when your throat chakra is in balance, you’re able to express yourself authentically. When you have a throat chakra blockage, it becomes very difficult to speak your truth and assert your will.
Understanding The Throat Chakra
Here are the basics of the throat chakra:
Sanskrit Name: Vishuddha
Number: 5 of 7
Body Parts: Throat, neck, mouth, ears, jaw, thyroid
Themes: Communication, self expression
Musical Note: D
Mantra: Ham, pronounced HOM
Symbol: Blue, sixteen petaled lotus
What Blocks The Throat Chakra?
The throat chakra becomes blocked whenever you fail to live your truth. And so often, this happens as a result of what we’re taught about our free will.
The throat chakra can become blocked when:
- Your choices are taken away from you
- Someone of authority shuts you down or silences you (especially at a young age)
- You’re lead to believe your true nature is somehow ‘wrong’
All of these life experiences can cause a throat chakra blockage, which means energy can’t flow freely through this energy center.
Part of your spiritual self-care responsibilities is to ensure you heal yourself from limiting beliefs you picked up along your path. So take a moment to honor yourself for doing this work.
The fact that you’re even looking into throat chakra healing is a sign of your courage, integrity and desire to create positive change in your life. Bravo to you!
How Do You Know If Your Throat Chakra Is Blocked?
The throat chakra is closely tied to the solar plexus, which is your center for personal power. It takes courage to be honest!
So allow yourself to explore healing opportunities in some of the lower chakras as you work on healing your throat chakra.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself to know if your throat chakra needs healing:
- Am I comfortable expressing myself to others?
- Do I speak for myself or allow others to speak for me?
- Am I honest?
- Can I stand up for myself?
- Do I take on behaviors and opinions of the people around me in order to fit in?
- Are my words a reflection of my beliefs?
- Do I listen with interest to other points of view?
- Am I prone to gossip?
- Do I allow others to know the real me?
- Are my viewpoints and values easily influenced?
Emotional Symptoms of a Blocked Throat Chakra
When your throat chakra is blocked or out of balance, it can result in the following feelings:
- fear of sharing your opinions
- unable to express your feelings
- uncomfortable voicing your needs
- poor listening skills
- tendency toward oral fixations
- inability to take a stand
Physical Symptoms of a Blocked Throat Chakra
As you may already know, negative emotions will turn into physical illness if you don’t process them. When your throat chakra has been blocked for some time, you may suffer from any of the following:
- dental issues or halitosis
- jaw problems like TMJ
- thyroid disorders
- chronic ear infections
- sore throats
- oral fixations
- stress eating or eating disorders
But don’t worry because your body is an amazing self-healer! As you practice throat chakra healing, you can soothe and even reverse many of these health issues.
I have suffered from thyroid issues, myself. You can read about the spiritual meaning of thyroid imbalances here: Spiritual Meaning of Thyroid Disease + How To Heal It Naturally
Symptoms of Throat Chakra Opening
There are incredible benefits of throat chakra opening. As you begin to heal, you’ll feel more:
- comfortable speaking your mind
- creative and expressive
- open to new perspectives
- empowered to to speak for yourself
- capable of finding the right words to say
- physical healing in the areas ruled by the throat chakra
How To Open The Throat Chakra?
If your throat chakra is imbalanced, there are many things you can do today to begin healing. The common theme among all of these practices is strengthening your personal will, so you can live a more authentic life.
Be Honest With Yourself and Others
Sometimes it feels so much easier to let others make decisions for you to avoid rocking the boat. Its a survival instinct to try to conform. If you find yourself .
It’s scary to be authentic because it opens you up to judgement and rejection. Instead of masking the real you, start sharing more of yourself others. The payoff is an incredible sense of freedom.
Your words have power! Your life experiences are a mirror of the beliefs you hold and the stories you tell. So start practicing the art of communication on a regular basis.
The best way to get energy moving in your throat chakra is to strengthen it like you would any other muscle. So start using your voice, literally. Here are some ideas to try:
- Offer your perspective in conversations
- Keep a manifesting journal. Use a blue one as a reminder of your intentions.
- Sing in your car or shower
- Speak at a volume loud enough to be heard
- Say hello to strangers you pass on the street
Deepen Your Spiritual Practice
When you’re on your personal spiritual path, your thoughts and words will reflect it. Spiritual practice brings comfort and clarity. These qualities make it easier for you to express yourself.
Plus when you have a strong spiritual foundation, you’re less concerned with what others think.
Throat Chakra Healing Crystals
You can carry blue stones to bring balance to the throat chakra. You can charge them with your intention simply by holding your crystal or gemstone in your hand, and thinking of a specific area where you need support.
Your stones will give off a gentle, healing vibration that will remind you of your intentions. A crystal necklace is an excellent choice so it can rest directly on your throat chakra, like a lapis lazuli pendant or sapphire stone.
These are the best crystals and stones for throat chakra healing:
- Lapis lazuli supports honest communication
- Turquoise is a protective stone that promotes feelings of calm
- Sodalite is also very calming and helps you verbalize thoughts
- Sapphire helps you tap into your inner wisdom and promotes clarity
- Blue lace agate moves energy through the throat chakra and supports thyroid health
Use Throat Chakra Healing Essential Oils
Aromatherapy is an excellent way to uplift emotions and enforce new mental patterns. The best way to balance the throat chakra is to reach for an oil blend made speicifcally for throat chakra opening.
This is the blend that I use, and I love it:
If you prefer to buy single oils, these are best for the throat chakra:
- Peppermint is cooling and invigorating. It supports self expression and creativity.
- Geranium fosters open and honest communication with its lemony, floral aroma.
- Eucalyptus refreshes the mind so you can express yourself clearly
- Myrrh is calming and will help you connect to your higher self. It also comes in resin form for burning.
- Sage helps clear negative beliefs that hold you back
Throat Chakra Music
You can play music that’s specific to throat chakra healing. Here’s how it works: the color blue vibrates at frequency of about 600 MHz on the color spectrum. This is closest to the frequency of the D note on the musical scale.
Color and sound are connected! So 600 MHz is the ideal throat chakra healing frequency.
Try these sound therapy options for throat chakra healing:
- Play a D note singing bowl
- Sing to music that makes you feel empowered and proud of who you are
- Listen to throat chakra healing music
Throat Chakra Healing Foods + Drink
An imbalance in the throat chakra often results in thyroid issues. Foods that support a healthy thyroid will also heal your throat chakra.
- coconut or coconut water
- peppermint tea
- seaweed, because it contains iodine which is essential to thyroid health
- simple, whole foods
- throat chakra tea with honey or lemon
Throat Chakra Healing Affirmations
It’s important to remind yourself that you have a right to your own opinions, beliefs, and ideas.
By repeating positive affirmations, you can reprogram your mind to adopt ideas that empower you to express yourself.
For more examples, check this out next: 24 Throat Chakra Affirmations to Speak Your Truth
Throat Chakra Healing Meditation
You can do meditations to heal your throat chakra. Here are some options for you to explore:
- Lie down and envision a beautiful blue orb of light glowing brightly in your neck area. Hold the image for 2 minutes.
- Try a free throat chakra healing meditation on YouTube.
- Chant the throat chakra mantra, Ham, aloud. If you’re uncomfortable with this, repeat it in your mind
Throat Chakra Healing Exercises
You can move your body to get energy flowing through your throat chakra. Try this free throat chakra yoga flow if you prefer to follow an instructor. Or, do some of these poses on your own:
- Neck stretch – drop your right chin to your right shoulder and hold. Repeat on left side
- Lion pose – stick out your tongue and let out an audible exhale. Get loud!
You might end up rubbing some people the wrong way as a result of speaking your truth. That’s okay! You’re not here to ‘people please’ or make other people comfortable.
Your desires, ideas, and opinions have value! So start using that beautiful voice of yours because when you do, everything in your life will begin to change for the better. It’s time to share more of yourself with the world!
Self-care starts here!
We’ll help you remember just how worthy you are.
The Haven Shoppe LLC proudly participates in the Amazon affiliate program. This means I receive a nominal commission at no cost to you, when you buy an Amazon product from this page. Thanks for supporting my small business!
Photo by Nick Karvounis on Unsplash