Your third eye chakra, or ajna, is your psychic center. If you feel ready to connect to your intuitive abilities more, you’re in the right place. This guide tells you everything you need to know about the 3rd eye chakra and how to open it.
What Is The Third Eye Chakra
The third eye chakra, or Ajna in Sanskrit, is your 6th chakra. It’s represented by the color indigo and is located at the center of the forehead, between your physical eyes.
The third eye is your psychic antennae. In other words, it’s the reason you “just know” when your best friend is going to call, or why you decide at the last minute to change your route driving home. You, like all humans, have a sixth sense that’s just as real as your sense of sight, smell, or touch.
In addition to intuitive ability, your third eye chakra is also responsible for your sense of clarity and inspiration. So when your third eye chakra is open, you can easily see the truth of situations, and allow yourself to follow your impulses. Life gets much easier when you heal your third eye chakra blockages!
The most important thing to know is that we all have intuition. While the third eye chakra can become blocked, it can easily become unblocked. Your sixth sense is a natural human sense, just like physical sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch.
Everything is energy, so when you receive intuitive information you’re just picking up on non-physical energy. An open third eye chakra affords us the wisdom to find the lessons in every situation, even when things don’t go our way.
Third Eye Chakra Meaning
Let’s start with the basic characteristics of the 3rd eye:
Sanskrit Name: Ajna
Number: 6 of 7
Location: Center of forehead
Body Parts: Endocrine system, pituitary gland, eyes, nose, sinuses
Themes: Intuition, vision, insight, wisdom, sixth sense
Musical Note: E
Planet: Neptune, Jupiter
Astrology: Pisces, Sagittarius
Mantra: Om, pronounced OH-M
Symbol: Downward facing triangle inside a two-petaled lotus
Haven Shoppe Healing Blend: Crystal Visions
How Do You Know Your Third Eye Is Blocked?
Is your third eye chakra blocked? Ask yourself these questions in order to find out:
- Do I acknowledge my inner truth detector?
- Am I in touch with my feelings?
- When something doesn’t go my way, do I need a logical explanation or trust that it wasn’t meant to be?
- Am I afraid of succeeding?
- Can I trust my gut?
- Do I set my sights too low because my desires seem out of reach?
- Am I overly attached to material belongings?
- Do I approach situations with a healthy balance of logic and emotion?
- Am I a good judge of character?
- Do I tend to repeat the same make mistakes?
- Am I open minded?
Emotional Signs of a Blocked Third Eye Chakra
When your 3rd eye chakra is blocked or out of balance, you will feel:
- unclear how to handle situations
- out of touch with emotions
- unable to see the bigger picture
- unaware of other people’s energy
- afraid or doubtful of your own success
Physical Signs of a Blocked Third Eye
Unprocessed emotions can build up over time and cause physical discomfort. A blocked 3rd eye can result in the following:
- headaches or migraines
- clogged sinuses
- issues with vision
- nightmares or poor sleep
How Do You Know Your Third Eye Is Open?
When your 3rd eye chakra is in balance, you will experience more of the following:
- eagerness to grow and expand
- intuitive insights
- inspired and creative
- in touch with your emotions
- aware of others’ motives and feelings
- psychic phenomena
- honor your personal truth
- in the flow of your life
- process unwanted emotions with greater ease
How to Heal the Third Eye Chakra
You can think of your third eye as your psychic antenna, picking up on subtle truths all around you. Your emotions play a huge role in your intuitive guidance.
So it’s important to honor your feelings as you set out on this journey. This doesn’t mean you have to experience everyone else’s emotions – that would torture! But you do need to be open to the gentle feelings you pick up. When you acknowledge what your feelings are telling you, you can release them.
Ask for Signs
To start opening your third eye, ask your spirit team or higher self (whatever Source you identify with) for signs and then document what you notice in a journal. As a result, you’ll begin to prove to yourself that you are receiving real messages.
The most common mistake people make is asking for a sign, and then brushing off the answers they receive. Remember, to be intuitive you must accept there’s more to life than what you pick up with your 5 senses.
So when you get those intuitive nudges, acknowledge them, say thank you, and write them down. The more you do this, the more messages you’ll begin to notice.
For more ways to boost your intuition, read this next: 10 Ways to Develop Your Intuition
Have you ever been deceived, and then after the fact thought, “I knew it!”. Well yes you did know it because that was your intuition at work. You sensed something was amiss before you had physical proof.
First of all, don’t beat yourself up because hindsight is always 20/20. But you can use that situation now to understand how you receive intuitive hits. Did you get a physical feeling in your stomach? Did you have a dream? Or perhaps you just had a knowing that you couldn’t explain. This information is valuable in understanding how your intuitive guidance comes through.
It’s important to practice honesty in all forms for third eye chakra opening. This includes being honost with yourself about your own feelings, as well as speaking the truth to others (which is the sign of a balanced throat chakra). The gift of intuition really boils down to knowing the truth when you sense it, and then taking inspired action.
If you’re confused and feel you aren’t tapping into your 3rd eye guidance, take a step back and ask yourself what the truth of the situation is. As you make it a practice to seek clarity with an open heart, your third eye chakra will open more.
Assess Your Lower Chakras
It takes confidence and self love to trust your guidance, especially if you can’t rationalize it. So a balanced 3rd eye is affected by the solar plexus chakra and heart chakra. You may want to look at the assessment questions in those ultimate guides, to see if you have any healing opportunities in those areas. Your chakras work together as a system, so it’s difficult to open higher chakras, like the 3rd eye, when your lower energy centers are out of balance.
Third Eye Chakra Healing Stones
Your third eye will readily respond to crystals and stones. Crystals take millions of years to form in the earth, and hold ancient wisdom. Look for purple stones to help balance the third eye chakra. You can place them directly on the forehead during meditation, under a pillow at bedtime, or carry them with you. Do as you feel guided.
Here are some of the best stones for the third eye chakra:
- Amethyst is a protective stone that activates psychic ability
- Lepidolite helps with emotional healing so you can create healthy new patterns
- Flourite stimulates the third eye and promotes healthy emotional-rational balance
- Labradorite supports intuition and helps manifest positive changes
- Clear quartz is an energy amplifier that will intensify other stones and clear your 6th chakra
You can find most of the loose stones mentioned above in jewelry form as well, like this third eye Alex + Ani bracelet:
Third Eye Chakra Healing Essential Oils
You can stimulate your pineal gland with essential oils. Crystal Visions chakra mist is a blend of essential oils that do just that. It’s also made with a crystal gem elixir to raise your vibration and get the energy in your third eye chakra flowing.
Whenever you need to call on your intuitive power, close your eyes, generously mist your face and take a deep inhale.
If you prefer straight oils for the diffuser, these are the best for the 3rd eye. Make sure you use therapeutic grade oils like these, otherwise they have no healing properties.
- Lavender has a sweet and gentle energy to match its aroma. It helps you feel calm so you can sense your truth
- Frankincense has been used for centuries to boost psychic ability
- Sandalwood is deeply spiritual oil that awakens spiritual insights
- Grapefruit awakens the third eye by stimulating the pineal gland
Note About Essential Oils: Undiluted Sandalwood and Frankincense oils are a costly natural resource, and normally run between $50-80 for a tiny bottle. If you see a cheap bottle for $10 or so, don’t buy it because it’s either adulterated or not a pure essential oil.
That is the benefit of buying a blend like Crystal Visions. You’re getting all the healing properties of high quality oils at a fraction of the price.
Third Eye Chakra Healing Music
There is a musical note that vibrates at the frequency of every color in the spectrum. So you can actually listen to indigo music!
- Play a singing bowl
- Listen to classical music to reduce stress, so you can more easily notice your intuition
- Enjoy relaxing spa music
- Try some third eye chakra healing music on YouTube
Third Eye Chakra Healing Foods
Any food that are a deep blue or purple in color will support your third eye. Also, you can eat foods that help to de-calcify your pineal gland:
- chia seeds
- purple potatoes
- apple cider vinegar
- raw cacao
- third eye chakra tea by Buddha Teas is a delicious blend of 3rd eye opening herbs
Third Eye Chakra Healing Affirmations
Third eye chakra a ffirmations are a great way to train yourself to reconnect with your intuitive nature. Try some of these: 30 Third Eye Chakra Affirmations to Unlock Intuition
Meditation for Third Eye Chakra
Meditation is an excellent way to heal your 3rd eye chakra. Here are some options for you to explore:
- Sit or lie quietly. Focus on the space between your eyebrows and imagine a deep bluish purple wheel of light glowing brightly at your forehead. Hold the image for a few minutes. You may chose to play the music of your choice during this meditation.
- Listen to a third eye chakra healing meditation.
- Chant ‘Om’ aloud or in the privacy of your mind
Yoga Poses for the Third Eye
You can use yoga to open the ajna chakra. The main idea is to get blood flowing to the pineal gland. Try some of the poses below on your own, or if you’d rather follow a flow, check out this free Third Eye Chakra Yoga Sequence.
- Child’s Pose – from a kneeling position, sit back on your knees with big toes touching. Fold over so that your forehead is touching the floor. This can be a very comforting position when you’re feeling unsafe.
- Standing Forward Bend – stand in mountain pose, then exhale and hinge forward from the hips until your forehead is resting on your chins. It’s okay to bend the knees
- Headstand, or if you’re a beginner, try rabbit pose
You absolutely are intuitive even if you don’t realize it yet. Opening your third eye is just a matter of recognizing how you receive messages, so you can trust your guidance and then act on it. You’ve embarked on a highly rewarding journey.
Go inward, and in very little time you’ll become attuned to how your body and brain receive information from the subtle realms.
If you want tips for practicing your intuition, check out 10 Ways to Develop Your Intuition.
Self-care starts here!
We’ll help you remember just how worthy you are.
The Haven Shoppe LLC proudly participates in the Amazon affiliate program. This means I receive a nominal commission at no cost to you, when you buy an Amazon product from this page. Thanks for supporting my small business!