Humans have been using crystals to sling magic, protect health, and ward off evil for over 60 thousand years. So while you may perceive them as ‘new age’, using crystals for healing is an ancient and sacred practice.
Have you ever been drawn to a crystal or stone? Maybe its color caught your eye, or perhaps it felt good to hold it in your hand. Healing crystals pack a subtle yet powerful punch that can enrich your self care practice.
Whether you’re looking to choose your very first healing stone, or have a pile of them you’re not quite sure what to do with, here are 6 different ways you can put these magical little helpers to good use. Let’s dive into how to use crystals.
How Crystals Work
Everything in the universe is made of energy, and crystals are no exception. They vibrate at a high frequency. As a result, your own vibration rises when you’re close to them. That’s why it feels so good to be near crystals; your body knows a healing source when it feels it.
Crystals take millions of years to form, deep inside the earth. Based on a crystal’s color and origin, it will emit specific healing properties. If this is too much to take in, just pick up a crystal that you’re drawn to, and notice how you feel when you hold it in your hand.
Do you sense a subtle shift in your energy? Notice what drew you to it in the first place – was it the color, texture, or a feeling?
If you’re super sensitive you may physically feel the crystal vibrating. However your guidance comes through is perfect; always go with your gut when selecting a crystal. Healing with crystals is an art and a science, so your intuition plays a big part in determining which ones can serve your needs. Working with crystals does feel a bit magical, but it’s really just law of attraction matching you up with exactly what you need in the moment.
The basic concept behind using crystals is to make you feel better, so you can attract more positive experiences into your life. The higher your vibration, the better your mood. The better your mood, the better you’re positioned for physical healing. Nothing could be simpler: when your vibes are higher, life gets better; and crystals can raise your vibe.
When you’re just learning how to use crystals, using them as a worry stone is the simplest way to start. Toss one into your pocket or bag in the morning, so you can reach for it whenever you feel negative emotions throughout the day.
Tumbled (smooth) stones work best for this, so you can easily rub the crystal between your thumb and pointer finger. This simple act of rubbing the crystal and turning it over in your hands engages your muscles, and gives your nervous energy a place to focus. Using a crystal as a “worry” or “palm” stone is an easy and effective way to draw on its healing powers.
You can also place your crystal at your workstation, to emit peaceful energy. Engaging your tactile senses when you experience stress is incredibly soothing. Crystals are the original fidget spinner! Here are some of excellent choices. Notice which ones you’re drawn to:
Tiger’s Eye worry stone is excellent for mental focus and grounding.
Lapis Lazuli worry stone promotoes wisdom and helps communication.
Rose Quartz worry stone emits love and peace.
Crystals offer the perfect opportunity to level up your meditation game. Simply hold your crystal of choice in your hand during meditation. Or if you have a large crystal, you can place it in front of you. If you’re working on chakra healing, lie down and place a chakra healing stone directly over the energy center you intend to balance. Here’s a list of the chakras, along with a crystal that will balance its energy:
- Root Chakra (above pubic bone): Tiger’s Eye
- Sacral Chakra (below navel): Orange Calcite
- Solar Plexus (above navel): Yellow Citrine
- Heart Chakra (center of chest): Rose Quartz
- Throat Chakra (throat/neck area): Turquoise
- 3rd Eye Chakra (center of forehead): Amethyst
- Crown Chakra (top of head): Clear Quartz
Another way to work crystals into your life is to wear them as jewelry. As you wear your crystal earring, ring, bracelet or necklace throughout the day, it will work on healing your energy for you. Choose a crystal that supports your intentions. There are limitless options, and for the most, healing crystal jewelry is reasonably priced. Here are a few examples. Click on any of them to see more options.
Red Jasper for grounding
Multi-Crystal bracelet for chakra balancing
Rose quartz pendant for heart healing
Home and Garden
If you’re not sure how to use crystals, you may have just randomly plopped them somewhere in your home. This is actually a good way to use them! Crystals can complement any decor while raising the vibration of your home. Here are some of the best crystals for your home:
- Place big chunks of rose quartz around the bath or even toss a few pieces into the tub while you bathe.
- Put an amethyst geode in the corner of your bedroom to help you sleep.
- Fill a glass vase with pieces of green aventurine for prosperity.
- Toss some lepidolite under your pillow to help you communicate with your spirit team during dream time
Protect Your Property
Choose your favorite protective stones and place them in the four corners of your home for protection. You can do this inside, or bury them outdoors. While you’re placing your protective crystals, keep your intention in mind. This ‘charges’ them with your energy, and puts them to work. Here are some of the best crystals for protection:
- Black Tourmaline blocks negative energy
- Selenite brings in angel energy. These work best inside your home; selenite doesn’t like the water.
- Turquoise calms your nerves and helps you feel safe. It’s also been used for ages as a protective stone.
These crystals work great in the car, too!
Give Plants a Boost
Plants know how to use crystals, too! Toss your extra crystals or gemstones into potted house plants, or even in your garden to help vegetation grow. Crystals come from the earth, so they’re perfectly content in your landscaping or herb garden. Just make sure you use crystals that can stand up to rainfall. As a rule, quartz crystals are safe to use.
All creatures love crystal energy! Check out this handsome slug passing through to catch some Mother Earth vibes (red center stone). Learn from my mistake, though: the selenite (long white wands) turned gummy and disintegrated after spending a New York summer outside. Not all crystals like water.
How To Make Moon Water
- Choose a vessel: fill a mason jar, special tea pot, or inspirational mug with drinking water. I recommend staying away from plastic – go for a natural material.
- Place your water on a windowsill or in a safe place outdoors, where it can sit overnight in the moonlight. The week of the full moon is best.
- Surround your vessel with crystals that match your intentions
- Let it sit overnight
- Drink you magical moon water!
All of our chakra healing mists are made from crystal infused water!
A crystal grid is just a collection of stones that work together to support your intentions. You can use a crystal grid set, or simply follow your own intuition. You can create a crystal grid in 3 easy steps:
- Set your intention – when you’re doing this, be sure to focus on a positive outcome for yourself, and all involved (not a negative outcome for anyone else).
- Select stones that support your intention. You can have as few as 3 crystals in your grid, or get super elaborate and use dozens. It’s totally up to you.
- Choose an area in your home where your grid won’t be disturbed, and arrange your crystals in a pattern that feels right to you. You can’t get it wrong, so just relax and have fun with this step. It’s a creative expression of your intentions.
Once your crystal grid is in place, it will hold your intentions on your behalf, and help you to manifest them.
Here is a crystal grid one of my clients set up to peacefully cut ties with her ex-partner. She keeps it in a low-traffic corner of her home, and visits it whenever she hits a rough patch.
If you need help choosing the perfect crystals for your crystal grid, leave a reply below and I’ll help you.
I hope this gave you a few new ideas on how to use your crystals. Feel free to get creative and see where your inspiration takes you! If you use your crystals in other ways, please scroll down and leave a reply below.
I’d also love to see pics of your crystal grids!
Self-care starts here!
We’ll help you remember just how worthy you are.
The Haven Shoppe LLC proudly participates in the Amazon affiliate program. This means I receive a nominal commission at no cost to you, when you buy an Amazon product from this page. Thanks for supporting my small business!