Did you know the 5 elements of Ayurveda are related to your chakra system? Your energetic body responds to the elements of nature, which means you can use them to heal. Today we’re exploring everything you need to know about the 7 chakra elements.
- What Do The 7 Chakras Represent?
- What Are The 7 Chakra Elements?
- Root Chakra: Earth Element
- Sacral Chakra: Water Element
- Solar Plexus Chakra: Fire Element
- Heart Chakra: Air Element
- Throat Chakra: Ether Element
- Third Eye Chakra: Ether Element/Light
- Crown Chakra: Ether Element/Thought
- 7 Chakra Elements Charts
What Do The 7 Chakras Represent?
The 7 chakras are energetic wheels that live in your subtle body. Each one is home to your beliefs, thoughts, and feelings about a particular area of your life.
Just as the physical systems of your body need nourishment and healing, your energetic body does too. One of the ways to do that is to work with the element that corresponds to the chakra that needs healing.
First, let’s recap what each chakra represents:
- Crown – inter-connection of all things
- Third Eye – intuition and clarity
- Throat – communication
- Heart – self love and compassion
- Solar Plexus – personal power
- Sacral – relationships and passion
- Root – belonging and security
If you want to learn more about the chakras, you can start here: What is a Chakra? Your Quick Start Guide
What Are The 7 Chakra Elements?
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian medicinal practice. It focuses on holistic, natural healing and literally translates from Sanskrit to life (ayur) medicine (veda).
Ayurvedic medicine teaches us that the 5 elements that created the universe also live in our bodies, on an energetic level. Here they are:
- Prithvi – Earth
- Jala – Water
- Teja – Fire
- Vayu – Air
- Aakash – Ether (or space)
One of these elements can be associated to each of the 7 chakras, and we’ll be discussing those relationships here today.
When you have an understanding of how these universal elements affect your energy, you can use them as tools for healing!
As you may have noticed there are 7 chakras but only 5 elements.
So some of the elements are related to more than one chakra. There are other schools of thought about additional elements – I’ll touch on those briefly here but will mostly stick to the 5 true elements of Ayurveda.
Root Chakra: Earth Element
The earth element is all about stability, which aligns perfectly with the root chakra.
You can see this theme represented in the root chakra symbol. Notice the square inside the 4 petaled lotus.
The number 4 represents stability, just like the four legs of a table chair or table. So your root chakra and the earth element are all about being balanced and strong:
It’s Sanskrit name, Muladhara, actually breaks down to the words root (mulad) and support (Hara). So this is your foundation for everything else in life – physically and emotionally.
Just like the earth is the basis for everything that lives, your root chakra is the basis for your entire chakra system.
When your root chakra is in harmony with the earth element, you’ll feel:
- safe in the world
- comfortable making and keeping commitments
- securely bonded to loved ones
- strong sense of belonging
- connected to the earth and nature
Earth Signs In Astrology
Earth signs in astrology, Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo are known for being hard working and dependable. These people are ruled by the earth element, and as a result are naturally grounded and practical.
Think about your earth sign family and friends. Do they exhibit these qualities? That’s because they’re naturally attuned to the earth element.
Earth Element for Root Chakra Healing
Sometimes life can leave you feeling a bit scattered, or as if you’re not on solid ground. That’s perfectly normal, and simply a sign that you have an opportunity to do some healing with the earth element, to bring your root chakra back into balance.
Here are some examples of when to work the earth element into your self-care practice:
- Changes going on at work
- Focus on improving your finances
- Shifts within your family or social group
- During times of stress or overwhelm
The earth element to bring it back into balance as you move through these changes. Here are some ways to connect to earth energy:
- Take a walk in nature
- Do some earthing by standing barefoot in the grass
- Eat grounding foods that grow straight from the earth like turnips, potatoes, or carrots
- Try gardening, potting a flower or planting a tree
- Say root chakra affirmations to feel more grounded
Anything that gets your body physically in touch with the earth can help you to heal and feel more stable secure.
Connecting with the earth will help you release fear or any sense that you are unsafe. The earth is strong, stable and resilient; and it can transfer these qualities to you, too.
Sacral Chakra: Water Element
The water represents emotion and intuition. Since your sacral chakra is home to all of your experiences and beliefs about your partnerships and one-on-one relationships, the sacral chakra and water element go hand in hand.
As you may already know, the sacral chakra is also your source for passion, energy and your sense of adventure. All of these things require flexibility and flow, which is exactly what the water element brings.
The sacral chakra also is responsible how comfortable you are with your sexual identity what else in your overall zest and passion for life. So if these areas of your life need healing, turn to the water element for self healing.
The zodiac signs that are ruled by water are Scorpio, Cancer, and Pisces. These people feel deeply and are especially intuitive.
Water signs are also incredibly sensitive to lunar energies, since there is a very strong connection between the water element and the moon. For this reason, it’s a great idea to work with the water element during the full moon.
Water Element For Sacral Chakra Healing
The water element is your perfect helper whenever you’re going through situations like these:
- Healing a partnership
- Balancing sexual energy
- Anything that requires you to be more flexible
- Healing parent-child relationships
- Whenever you feel stuck or bored
When you’re in the water you’re weightless, and naturally flow with the tide. So working with the water element will inspire you to approach situations through this lens.
Here are my favorite ways to bring the water element in for sacral chakra healing:
- Sacred bathing – especially when you’re feeling stressed
- Make a batch of moon water – pair this with a full moon ritual or affirmation
- Listen to water sounds during meditation
- Walk or sit near a natural body of water
Solar Plexus Chakra: Fire Element
Your solar plexus chakra is your center for personal power, decision making, and confidence. It’s associated to the fire element, which carries the energy of movement, energy, action.
The solar plexus chakra holds onto your beliefs and feelings about yourself. So if you’re ever doubting your worthiness or abilities, turn to the fire element to give yourself a boost.
Fire Signs in Astrology
The zodiac signs ruled by fire are Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius. These people are energetic, impulsive, determined, and ambitious.
So when your solar plexus is in balance, you’ll enjoy these qualities too! Let’s talk about how to use the fire element as a healing tool.
Fire Element for Solar Plexus Healing
Here are some instances when the fire element would make a perfect addition to your self care practice:
- If you’re questioning your abilities or worthiness
- When you’re struggling to make a decision
- To help with anxiety
- Setting boundaries + being assertive
- Any type of release work (letting go of what no longer serves you),
It’s time to get you fired up so you can set into your power! Try some of these methods for chakra element healing:
- Light a candle and and focus on the flame while repeating a solar plexus chakra affirmation
- Write down what everything holding you back and then burn the paper
If you’re working on letting go of beliefs that don’t serve you, work with the fire element during the full moon.
Or, if you’re focused on starting something new, bring the fire element into a new moon ritual.
Heart Chakra: Air Element
Your heart chakra is ruled by the air element which symbolizes movement, subtle energy, and freedom.
Think about how it feels to stand outside when a cool breeze comes through. This captures the energy of the air element in the world of Ayurveda: things that you feel but can’t see (like your emotions).
This is why it’s such a perfect match to your heart chakra, which captures all your experiences regarding matters of the heart. Emotions like love, forgiveness, and compassion affect us so deeply, yet they aren’t tangible.
Air Signs in Astrology
The zodiac signs ruled by air are Gemini, Aquarius, and Libra. When we talk about the elements in terms of the zodiac, air represents intellectual thinking and logic.
So Air people come at situations from an intellectual perspective as opposed to an emotional one. So air can really represent both sides of the emotional coin, and you can work with this element to bring balance to your emotions.
Air Element for Heart Chakra Healing
If you need heart healing, then you can use the air element to balance your energy.
Here are some signs that signal you need heart healing:
- Beating yourself up
- Harshly judging yourself or others
- Carrying feelings of guilt or shame
- Holding onto resentment or regret
- Working through grief or heartache
The air element can help you strike a healthy balance between head and heart. Here are some activities to try:
- Any meditation that focuses on the breath – breathwork is a powerful way to connect to the air element.
- Keep a personal growth journal. The heart chakra is connected to the minor chakras in your hands. So as you write and express your emotions your heart will heal.
- Say heart healing affrimations
- Simply take a moment to take a deep inhale of fresh air – outdoors if you can
Throat Chakra: Ether Element
The 5th Ayurvedic element is ether. This element represents space and expansion. And your throat chakra represents self expression.
So, I like to think of this chakra-element relationships as filling the space, or bridging the gap between people, through communication.
When your throat chakra is in balance, you’re expressing yourself authentically and connecting with others clearly and directly through you words, action, and vibration.
Here are some signs it may be time to call in the ether element for throat chakra healing:
- When you’re struggling to communicate authentically
- Growing desire to live in your truth
- Tendency to engage in gossip
- Trouble asserting your will and speaking up
Ether Element for Throat Chakra Healing
There are many ways to bring your throat chakra back into balance, with the help of the ether element. Here are a few of my favorite:
- Do some stargazing to remind yourself how expensive and vast our world is.
- Strengthen your throat chakra by singing or saying throat chakra affirmations
- Go outside in winter – this quiet season of rest is associated to the ether element
- Try scripting about your desires to expand your imagination
- Eating bitter foods to connect with the ether element.
- Do a listening meditation by simply sitting quietly and noticing what you hear
Give yourself permission to expand and grow in any area of life, and it will connect you to the ether element.
Third Eye Chakra: Ether Element/Light
There is more than one school of thought on the third eye and crown chakras as far as they’re related elements go.
Technically, there are only five Ayurveda elements, so from that perspective the third eye corresponds to ether, along with the throat and crown chakras.
However it feels accurate that the element of light comes into play when we’re talking about the third eye. Your third eye chakra is your psychic center. It’s all about being connected with your natural intuitive gifts and having clarity.
The ability to see clearly is the main theme of the third eye chakra and that’s why many associate it to the element of light. Think about a lightbulb going on when a situation when the truth of a situation becomes clear to you.
When your third eye is in balance, you’re clear about your path, and are accepting of other ways of life. So doesn’t this just correspond so beautifully with the idea of light shining more light into the world as acceptance grows?
The ether element is very much about the mind and expanding your mind and shining a light onto new areas of thought, and expressing yourself creatively.
For this reason, some associate this chakra to the mind, or to light, which aren’t technically Ayurvedic elements. But they still capture the essence of the 3rd eye chakra all the same.
Ether + Light for 3rd Eye Chakra Healing
Here are the main signs to look for to know when you need 3rd eye chakra healing:
- Confusion about your path
- Trouble accepting different points of view
- Feeling disconnected from your spirit team
- Inability to remember your dreams
You can call in ether or light to bring balance to your 3rd eye. Here are some ideas:
- Use crystals and affirmations for lucid dreaming – becoming consciously aware that you’re dreaming as an incredible way to connect to your intuition and gain insights that your soul wants to share.
- Do exercises to open your third eye
- Try third eye chakra affirmations
- Meditate on your third eye – the ether element is all about ‘the void’, so try emptying your mind and focusing with closed eyes, direct your gaze to the space between the eyebrows
- Imagine an indigo light filling the space between your eyes
Crown Chakra: Ether Element/Thought
Traditionally, the crown chakra is associated to the ether element, and for good reason. Your crown chakra is responsible for helping you to feel connected to all that is, while ether represents the space between all things.
The ego’s illusion of separateness can really hold you apart from experiencing your most joyful life! So working on healing the crown chakra can help to help you feel more connected to everything and everyone.
In addition, your crown chakra is your spiritual connection, going beyond time and space. So that’s why you’ll also see it associated to the concept of thought.
In other words, in your mind you can think back to the past and you can imagine what may unfold in the future. You are limitless in what your thoughts can conjure and this captures the energy of the crown chakra perfectly.
Ether + Thought for Crown Chakra Healing
When your crown chakra is in balance, your mind, body and spirit are all on the same page and moving in the direction of your highest good.
A balanced crown chakra gives you a strong knowing that the universe is on your side at all times. Here are some ways to use ether and thought to expand your crown.
- Practice chanting – Om Mani Padme Hum is a great one to start
- Connect with animals to raise your vibration
- Say crown chakra affirmations to connect to your divine power
- Do a rampage of appreciation exercise
You are powerful! And when your crown chakra is imbalance you’re very aware of of what you can do.
7 Chakra Elements Charts
Here are a few charts to pick from – pin your favorite!
Did this help you to understand the 7 chakra elements? Leave your comments below!
Self-care starts here!
We’ll help you remember just how worthy you are.
The Haven Shoppe LLC proudly participates in Amazon and Share A Sale affiliate programs. This means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, when you buy a product from this page. Thank you for supporting my small business!
Image Credit 1, 2, 3, 4