Here we’ll explore everything there is to know about the root chakra and how to heal it. Your root chakra is your energetic foundation. You can heal it with food, music, meditation, essential oils, and focused intention. Balancing your root chakra is the first step in healing all areas of your chakra system.
Table of Contents
What Is The Root Chakra
Your energetic body is made up of seven main centers known as chakras. Chakra is a Sanskrit word that means ‘wheel’. These seven wheels of energy run the length of your subtle body. Each chakra relates to a specific set of emotions and area of your physical body.
Your root chakra, or Muladhara in Sanskrit, is the base of your chakra system. It’s represented by the color red in the illustration below. All of your beliefs and experiences around physical security are held here in the root chakra.
Root Chakra Basics
Let’s start with the basics of this energy center. The root chakra corresponds to the following:
Sanskrit Name: Muladhara
Number: 1 of 7
Location: Base of spine
Body Parts: Bones, blood, adrenals
Themes: Safety, Belonging, Tribe
Musical Note: G
Symbol: Red, four petaled lotus
Chakra Healing Blend: You’re Grounded
Signs of a Blocked Root Chakra
Your chakras react to every experience you’ve ever had. So it’s natural for you to need healing in different energy centers based on what’s happening in your life. In fact it’s very common common for the root chakra to become blocked as a result of shifts in family and work life.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself to know if your root chakra is open or not:
- Do I feel safe in the world?
- Do I feel scattered?
- Is my home life causing me stress?
- How’s my relationship with my family?
- Is my work environment causing me stress?
- Am I struggling to have my basic needs met?
- Have I adopted limiting beliefs from my tribe that don’t serve me?
- Do I have a healthy sense of belonging in the world?
When your root chakra is blocked or out of balance, you will feel:
- mentally scattered
- fearful for yourself or family members
- may suffer from autoimmune disorders (read more on how to reverse them)
Signs of an Unblocked Root Chakra
When your root chakra is comes back into balance, you’ll know it because you’ll feel more:
- connected to the earth
- financially secure
- physically safe
- emotionally stable
- sense of belonging
Root Chakra Healing Techniques
Listen To Your Body
The main theme of the root chakra is connection to your physical body. It’s natural for the root chakra to become blocked when you’ve got a lot on your mind. When you’re mentally and emotionally distracted, you can miss your body’s signals.
Sit quietly and ask your body what it needs. Have you struck a healthy balance between movement and rest? Are you thirsty? Your body will gladly tell you what it needs if you take the time to ask.
Spend Time Outdoors
One of the best ways to ground your energy is to spend time in nature, away from electronic devices. Reconnecting with mama earth will do wonders for your stress levels. Focus on the sights, sounds, and smells of the natural world.
Even if you’re not an ‘outdoorsy’ person, your body will recognize and respond after just a few moments. Immersing yourself in the natural world will yield physical and emotional benefits right away. It can help lower your blood pressure and stress hormone levels in the body.
There are many other tools to bring healing to your root chakra when it needs a boost. Let’s explore!
Release Tribal Patterns
The root chakra is all about tribe. Your family, religious organizations, and community have a big role in helping you form your view of the world. This can be a beautiful thing. Traditions, recipes, and languages passed down through the generations can be treasures.
But sometimes prejudices, limiting beliefs, and unhealthy behavior are passed down to new generations. What beliefs have you adopted that don’t serve you? Give yourself permission to break toxic cycles and form new beliefs that reflect the life you want to create.
Use Root Chakra Crystals
You can use crystals to balance your root chakra. Root chakra crystals are grounding, resonating with the earth element. So any stones that are the color of the earth, like black, will balance the root chakra. Red stones will bring balance the root chakra as well. You may carry your favorite stone with you, wear crystal jewelry. You can also place a root chakra crystal directly onto your body (just above pubic bone) while you meditate.
Here are some of the best stones for root chakra healing:
- red jasper deepens your connection to the earth
- smoky quartz neutralizes negative energy and soothes fear
- black obsidian shields against negative energy
- hematite helps you feel focused and stable
- bloodstone grounds and protects
Root Chakra Essential Oils
Aromatherapy is a powerful that can ground you right away. Essential oils that balance the root chakra are base notes. They will be earthy and woody in aroma.
If you’re comfortable buying individual oils and diluting them yourself, here are some essential oils for the root chakra. Be sure to always buy organic and therapeutic grade oils like these. Otherwise, they have no healing properties:
- vetiver is earthy in aroma is helps calm nerves
- cedarwood is steam distilled from the bark of great cedar trees. It offers a deeply calming and protective effect.
- clove is warm and comforting
- patchouli has a complex scent that is herb-like and balsamic. It’s very relaxing and blends well with many other oils.
- black pepper is warm and spicy, helping to chase away mental fatigue
- sandalwood used for centuries in spiritual ceremonies, it promotes peace and helps get energy flowing through the chakras
If you’d rather have a root chakra blend that’s ready to go, try You’re Grounded chakra mist. It’s specifically designed to balance your root chakra. You can spray the body mist over yourself and your surroundings whenever you feel your root chakra is blocked.
You’re Grounded is also infused with crystal energy and displays an affirmation on the label to bring healing to the root chakra. It combines multiple root chakra healing methods into one. It also comes in a roll-on:
Music with Root Chakra Healing Frequency
Ever wonder why certain music is so soothing? Each note on the musical scale vibrates at a different frequency. The root chakra vibrates at the frequency of around 396Hz, which corresponds to red on the color spectrum.
So, to use music to balance the root chakra, you want to focus on the G note. It holds the same frequency as the root chakra when in balance. Isn’t it amazing how vibration connects us to color and sound?
Try these sound therapy techniques to balance your root chakra:
Root Chakra Healing Foods
The root chakra is all about grounding. So, to help heal your root chakra, try foods that are either red, or grow underground:
- root vegetables like sweet potatoes, radishes, artichokes, turnips
- root chakra tea contains herbs that help balance the root chakra
Root Chakra Healing Affirmations
You are always safe in the world, my friend. Reminding yourself of this truth will bring healing and balance to your root chakra. An affirmation is a phrase you repeat to yourself. Studies show positive affirmations help to improve your mental state.
These Calming Root Chakra Affirmations for Grounding will bring you comfort.
Do a Root Chakra Healing Meditation
Meditation is an excellent way to heal your root chakra. Here are some options for you to explore:
- Sit or lie quietly. Imagine a red wheel of light spinning and glowing brightly at the base of your spine. Hold the image for a few minutes. You can also play your root chakra music during this meditation.
- Listen to a root chakra healing meditation.
- One of the best ways to get grounded is with a guided body scan meditation.
- Take a walk in the woods or do some gardening. Nature heals the root chakra.
- Try earthing: stand barefoot in the grass or sand, and just focus on your breathing for 10 minutes or so.
Root Chakra Healing Yoga Poses
Yoga can be an excellent tool to usher in feelings of stability and balance. Try some of the options below when you need to reconnect with your physical body. Or, check out this Root Chakra Tune-Up Practice by Yoga Journal.
- Mountain Pose – stand tall with feet hip-distance apart. Imagine your feet are growing roots deep into the earth. Affirm: I ground myself deeply and firmly into Mother Earth. Hold the pose for one minute to restore balance and mental focus.
- Child’s Pose – from a kneeling position, sit back on your knees with big toes touching. Fold over so that your forehead is touching the floor. This can be a very comforting position when you’re feeling unsafe.
You can also try sitting cross legged while positioning your hands in the muladhara mudra. A mudra is a hand gesture that symbolizes the chakra. The root chakra mudra looks like you’re forming a pyramid with your middle fingers.
As you set your intention to heal your root chakra, you’ll begin to feel more stable and secure in your world. Spend time in nature and be mindful and loving toward your physical body. Remember that you’re always safe. Do you have a root chakra healing ritual you’d like to share? We we want to hear about it! Help others by leaving a comment.
Self-care starts here!
We’ll help you remember just how worthy you are.
The Haven Shoppe LLC proudly participates in the Amazon affiliate program. This means I receive a nominal commission at no cost to you, when you buy an Amazon product from this page. Thanks for supporting my small business!