Hands up if you love your alone time! These quotes on solitude will bring you peace when you need to retreat from the world to restore your energy. Enjoy your peace and quiet, dear friend. You’ve earned it!
Table of Contents
The True Meaning of Solitude
If you look of the meaning of solitude in the dictionary, it’ll say “the state of being alone or remote from society.” Followed by “a lonely or uninhabited place.” But for those of us who crave solitude, we know that solitude and loneliness are two very different things.
So what does solitude really mean? Solitude is about being alone, yes. But it’s about the self nourishment and personal growth that take place when you allow yourself to be in your own company without distraction (this means without social media, too!).
If you already appreciate solitude, you’ll resonate with these quotes. But if you feel lonely when you’re alone, that’s okay. In fact, that’s wonderful because it it means you have an opportunity for spiritual growth. Meditation will help you to get comfortable with your inner stillness, and these solitude quotes can help, too.
Below you’ll find a beautiful collection of solitude quotes to inspire, comfort, and encourage you.
Benefits of Solitude
There are many benefits of being alone (in healthy doses based on your own personality), and they’re actually backed by science. Whether you’re alone at home or enjoying a destination retreat, solitude can usher in life changing benefits, such as:
- inspire creativity
- increase mental endurance
- spark compassion for others
- usher in clarity
- help improve your sense of self
- reduce anxiety caused by social media/news/drama tv
39 Solitude Quotes to Bring You Peace
2) “Love your solitude and try to sing out with the pain it causes you.”
-Rainer Maria Wilke
3) “In solitude the mind gains strength and learns to lean upon itself.”
4) “There is a tremendous difference between alone and lonely. You could be lonely in a group of people. I like being alone. I like eating by myself – I go home at night and just watch a movie or hang out with my dog. And I have to exert myself and really say, oh God, I’ve got to see my friends because I’m too content by myself.”
5) “The best thinking has been done in solitude.”
-Thomas A. Edison
6) “The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind.”
7) The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. Originality thrives in seclusion, free of outside influences beating upon us to cripple the creative mind. Be alone – that is the secret of invention: be alone. That is when ideas are born.
8) “All man’s miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone.”
9) “My imagination functions much better when I don’t have to speak to people.”
10) “I’m simply alone, living in my heavily populated solitude.”
11) “One can be instructed in society, one is inspired only in solitude.”
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
12) “Solitude gives birth to the original in us, to beauty unfamiliar and perilous – to poetry.”
13) “Closed in a room, my imagination becomes the universe, and the rest of the world is missing out.”
14) In order to understand the world, one has to turn away from it on occasion.”
Quotes on Loneliness Versus Solitude
15) If you’re lonely when you’re alone, you’re in bad company.
16) “If I want to believe that life is lonely and that nobody loves me, then that is what I will find in my world.”
17) “Loneliness is different than isolation and solitude. Loneliness is a subjective feeling where the connections we need are greater than the connections we have. In the gap, we experience loneliness. It’s distinct from the objective state of isolation, which is determined by the number of people around you.”
18) Our language has widely sensed the two sides of being alone. It has created the word “loneliness” to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word “solitude” to express the glory of being alone.”
19) “You can never create love in your life by talking or thinking about being lonely. Feeling lonely and needy just pushes people away.”
20) “There’s a difference between solitude and loneliness. I can understand the concept of being a monk for a while.”
21) “The reason that extended solitude seemed so hard to endure was not that we missed others but that we began to wonder if we ourselves were present, because for so long our existence depended upon assurances from them.”
22) “The first relationship to improve is the one you have with yourself. If you’re looking for more love, then you need to love yourself more. This means no criticism, no complaining, no blaming, no whining, and no choosing to feel lonely. It means being very content with yourself in the present moment and choosing to think thoughts that make you feel good now.”
23) Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self.
24) “It is difficult to find happiness within oneself, but it is impossible to find it anywhere else.”
25) “The reason that extended solitude seemed so hard to endure was not that we missed others but that we began to wonder if we ourselves were present, because for so long our existence depended upon assurances from them.”
More Inspiring Quotes on Solitude
26) “I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity.”
27) “A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.”
– Arthur Schopenhauer
28) “Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward.”
29) “Solitude is very different from a ‘time-out’ from our busy lives. Solitude is the very ground from which community grows. Whenever we pray alone, study, read, write, or simply spend quiet time away from the places where we interact with each other directly, we are potentially opened for a deeper intimacy with each other.”
30) “I had told people of my intention to be alone for a time. At once I realized they looked upon this declaration as a rejection of them and their company. I felt apologetic, even ashamed, that I would have wanted such a curious thing as solitude, and then sorry that I had made a point of announcing my desire for it. … To the spouse, or the long-time companion, or the family, and to the social circle, as it is called, the decision to be alone for any length of time is dangerous, threatening, a sign of rejection. … Having never felt the need to be alone themselves, having always lived happily in relationships, they looked upon my need as eccentric, even somewhat mad. But more than that, they saw it as fraudulent, an excuse to be rid of them rather than a desperate need to explore myself.”
31) “Your inner voice is the voice of divinity. To hear it, we need to be in solitude, even in crowded places.”
-A. R. Rahman
32) “Your solitude will be a support and a home for you, even in the midst of very unfamiliar circumstances, and from it you will find all your paths.”
-Rainer Maria Rilke
Introvert Quotes on Solitude
33) “An introvert’s desire for solitude is more than just a preference. It is crucial to our health and happiness.”
34) “I have to be alone very often. I’d be quite happy if I spent from Saturday night until Monday morning alone in my apartment. That’s how I refuel.”
36) “Let’s clear one thing up: Introverts do not hate small talk because we dislike people. We hate small talk because we hate the barrier it creates between people.”
37) “Don’t think of introversion as something that needs to be cured. Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you’re supposed to.”
38) “After an hour or two of being socially on, we introverts need to turn off and recharge. This isn’t antisocial. It isn’t a sign of depression.”
39)“The same person who would never raise his hand in a lecture hall of two hundred people might blog to two thousand, or two million, without thinking twice. The same person who finds it difficult to introduce himself to strangers might establish a presence online and then extend these relationships into the real world.”
I hope these quotes on solitude inspire you to carve out more time for yourself, because you are worthy of your own loving attention. Leave me a comment with your favorite solitude quote!
Self-care starts here!
We'll help you remember just how worthy you are.
The Haven Shoppe LLC proudly participates in the Amazon affiliate program. This means I receive a nominal commission at no cost to you, when you buy an Amazon product from this page. Thanks for supporting my small business!